Monday 21 October 2013

photography project



The aim of this project is to portray certain emotions and express film genres using raw unedited photographs. The themes were Happy, Sad, Tense, Curious, Busy, Calm and Quiet, A Storm Approaching, Autumn, Film Noir, Comedy, Pulp Fiction, Action and Horror. We had a short tutorial about creating depth of field and different camera settings to make areas of the photograph in the fore and background appear out of focus and the subject of the photograph remain in focus and then we hired a camera and began. As it was the first day we were all new to the brief and still generating ideas so myself and Dec decided to walk into town and just take photographs as opportunities presented themselves rather than trying to create scenes. When I returned to my flat I had some of my flatmates pose and act whilst I photographed them this photos are obviously posed for rather than natural but express the emotions well so I kept them, I then spent the rest of the night getting accustomed to the camera and focusing on different subjects for practice. I convinced a flatmate to come to Blackpool on Wednesday because I thought this could present me with opportunities to get plenty of different themes, the weather wasn't good so this was good for the storm approaching. For these photographs I turned the exposure down to darken the photos making them almost black and white with just hints of colour in it, these photographs look like they have been edited but this is because of how the weather and lighting was on the day, many of the photos from this day portray a storm approaching the two best in my opinion were photos of the pier with a very choppy sea and darkened sky around it and rain drops on the window of the train on the journey home.

For happy Ii decided to use a photograph that I took of an unsuspecting flatmate as he spoke with his girlfriend, I decided to use this because he didn't know I was taking the photo so it is a natural pose.
For sad I used a photograph of a memorial with poppy wreaths on it as I feel death really sums up sadness.
For tension I took a photograph of Laura playing on a grabbing machine because this is tense in the sense that she does not know whether she will be successful or not and it is also tense because the teddy is hanging from the machine.
For curious I had Laura look over the barriers and gaze into the distance this I feel shows curiosity as she wonders what lies before her hidden by the stormy surface of the water.
For busy I photographed jenny working at her desk surrounded by here laptop and papers, I also took photos of crowded streets and people preparing meals but I felt this picture best described busyness.
For calm and quiet I went to the library with Dec as this is a quiet learning area with little commotion and provided a perfect setting for this theme.
For Autumn I used fallen leaves as my subject.
Black and white photographs seemed to be the best way I could interpret film noir using the old pier arch and seating as my subject.
For comedy I decided to use the classic banana skin with someone walking towards it as I thought most people will easily make this connection between it and the comedy theme.
for pulp fiction I took a photos of my flatmates smoking outside looking serious with a darkened exposure looking very much like they were from a film or novel.
For action I decided to have my flatmates perform various tasks like handstands and cartwheels, I wanted to photograph Cam and Jenny doing a handstand and cartwheel simultaneously but Can went too early, however I like this because now it looks like Jenny is being chased by Cam on his hands and it captures the action pretty well.
The final theme was horror and for this waited until it was very late and climbed over and under to an old railway bridge near my accommodation, I then photographed the two tall archways where the lines would have run because of the darkness of the photo it is very difficult to make out the subject adding to the horror theme where you do not know what lies ahead

No comments:

Post a Comment