Friday 22 November 2013

one second a week, wish you were here

As this week contains Halloween my first thoughts for were based around this, however I was not sure what to actually animate for this and was struggling to find inspiration for my work. For my Halloween costume I purchased a large pumpkin which I hollowed out carved and wore on my head. it was not until after this was done and I again mentioned to my flat mates my difficulties in creating an idea that someone suggested to me that I should have photographed the process of me carving the pumpkin, I really like this idea  but it came too late so I cannot do this, however i may buy a pumpkin now they are cheap and then do this and use the flesh after to make food so it is a win win situation. This week I have also been getting my flatmates into Pink Floyd and Gerald Scarfe who had a massive influence on my work last year. This resulted in us watching a documentary about the making of the album "wish you were here". It was from listening to this music watching the videos created by Scarfe that made me decide to take my inspiration from the iconic album art of the wish you were here album. The two men shaking hands whilst one is on fire is where I began, I planned at first to have the flames leap up from the ground leaving behind the man. This left the problem of introducing the other man, one idea was to have the flames create both men but only one is on fire on the artwork so i was not happy about this. the second idea was to have the man walk in but in just a second to make him come in and shake hands seemed a bit fast so I decided to have the image as a still and have the fire on the one man whip around him as it burned. This is the idea that I decided to use and began by drawing out the image of the two men for the first layer. I used photoshop to create this animation because it allows me to use colour relatively quickly and is a program I am still getting to grips with so am enjoying using. I next created the fire on separate layers and created a new layer for each frame of the piece so I could easily put it into timeline and animate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment